Monday 16 December 2013

Unemployment Graphics

In my next info graphic I want to focus on statistics about unemployment in Europe. For inspiration I did some research regarding the visualization of unemployment numbers. First of all it is quite negative to point out the unemployment numbers instead of focussing on the employment. I want to have a look whether the negativity is expressed in the design of the graphics.


My first example deals with the numbers of the USA and is kept dark in the background underlining the "tragic" topic. The facts are arranged vertically and are presented in sentences. That's why it is read like a story. Colors and size are used to visually support the message in text form. Additionally the numbers are especially pointed out visualized through size or proportion. The color-coding doesn't seem clear to me, because the red, blue and yellow are used to express different facts like number, percentage, time. I think this concept could be improved for visually supporting the message more. The decorative elements  don't disturb the functionality of the graphic and only set some highlights.


The next example visualizes the youth unemployment in Europe using figurative elements that also work functionally. I really like the icons of the persons, because they are designed quite detailed and originally. This is a novel idea for integrating them in graphs or for showing proportions. When the icons are used decoratively than they complete the image in the section. The color-concept is clear and is used consequently through all the four segments. Blue stands for lower and orange, red for higher numbers. 
 

The last example is the most abstract and functional one. Using a bar chart, donut chart and proportions to visually express the numbers. I like the visualization of proportions with icons in reference to the gender. The descriptions are very short and serve as short headlines for each segment. In my opinion the typography is not chosen very suitably. The font of the title underlines the "tragic" topic but does not suite to the flat and clear design of the graphs.  



3 comments:

  1. i like the 3 examples you mention because they differ completely in the design and the context.
    however, the first one does distruct me a little bit, because in my opinion there is to much text used and it takes a lot of time to get through it. the designer could have used more symbols or graphics to make it easier for the viewer to follow the graphic. furthermore by using so much text, it has the problem that it can be easily boring for the reader which means that he is not following the whole graphic.
    the other two examples are more interesting for me to follow, because it doesn't need a lot of time to analyze them in compare to the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the three different ways, these infographics are designed, using both different colours, grids and structure to tell the message. They deliever almost the same information in three different ways.

    However, I find the first one too text heavy - too dense - for my taste. I know that the single-coloumn-long-scrollable infographics are modern these days, but I guess this is a good example of how the form decides instead of the content deciding the form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your opinion. I also think that it is difficult to abstract some information because they need a context too be understood. Nevertheless I agree that it is not necessary to tell whole stories in an information graphic because that would fail the functional purpose.

    ReplyDelete