Wednesday 11 December 2013

My Crash Course

My next project dealt with the visualization of statistics about airplane crashes.
The dataset included information about the year, reason, airline/operator, destination, country, time, location. I decided to clarify the complexity dividing the information in six segments using a pie chart, time line with bar chart, hierarchy visualizations and a map. The units minimize the amount of information processed at one time.



In consideration of the topic airplanes the colors blue and white were the most obvious to me representing sky and clouds. For emphasizing the negative topic I also used the warning color red  symbolizing danger.

The dashed line illustrates a vapor trail. It functions as a guideline for the viewer through the units and structures the information visually. The resemblance icon of the airplane serves as an arrow and shows the direction. So these elements are decorative as well as functional. Additionally I used color coding as an visual orientation for the viewer. The dark blue refers to the general number and frequency of plane accidents. The red, orange and yellow represent the density of crashes happening with an airline or in a country. Here the user can visually distinguish high and lower density referring to the legends below. Additionally I used the size of the words for visually underlining the amount and proportion.

Maybe it would be more clear to give a concrete number of the 11% of crashes in the period between 2000 and 2009 - instead of only using plane-icons as a reference. The icons would visually support the concrete number. The cognitive load is quite high if the viewer would start counting the icons for knowing the number. For minimizing the cognitive load I have for instance used labels in the map in reference to the country.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa! I found your chart very well done. I think the color range goes very in keeping with the theme of the graph,and you've distributed the info very clear. I really like the world map graphic, I used a similar one in one of my graphics. So I invite you to go through my blog and give me your opinion! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete